Friday, November 21, 2008

The Thought Process...



I've been taking a lot of portraits lately, and I love it! I put so much thought into each shot. Yes, that above is me sharing the thought process with you. I'm sorry I'm so pale.

Arlane here, is the undergraduate representative for The Virginia Tech Board of Visitors, so it made sense to me to photograph her in a board room. I scouted out the room one day in advance.

Today, I got there half an hour early to set up lights.

I set up my main light, and while I was getting my exposure I noticed how nice and reflective the table's surface was and decided that it would make a nice element in my photograph. I shot at about f10 at 1/6 and rested on the table instead of using a tripod:



Next Arlane arrives and I decide that there needed to be a few more things lit in the background to create some nice separation, and then another strobe to the right in the front to make sure her eyes were lit up... but she turned out to be a squinty smiler anyway.



Bang bang bang... I have a photo that I liked: